For over 10 years, our Express Yourself project has been helping young people to learn new creative skills and feel good about themselves. The courses run over ten weeks. They take place in a safe creative space where you can feel free to be yourself.
Unfortunately, we are not taking referrals for Express Yourself at the moment. We are awaiting the outcome of funding bids which will allow us to continue running the programme.
In the meantime, we would encourage you to check out the art and wellbeing resources below. They were created by and for Express Yourself participants.
- Colour in Creativity – Ideas for Creative Self-Care from Young Artists
- Artists and mental health professionals speak about mental health, creativity and self care
- Artist Honey Williams on mental health, facing misogynoir and her artistic inspirations
You can also sign up for View Points – an Express Yourself project supporting 14-19 year-old’s in Gedling to learn photography skills, explore your local parks and gain an Arts Awards.
Our courses are designed to build your confidence and self-esteem. You will have the chance to work with artists to create something you can be proud of. By taking part you will have the chance to gain an Arts Award, a qualification recognised by schools, universities and employers.
Who it is for
The courses are open to people age 13-17 who live in either Gedling, Rushcliffe or Broxtowe.
They intended to support young people who:
- need extra support with their mental health
- find it challenging to attend school
- want to make positive changes to their lives
Why take part
Here’s why we think you should get involved:
- ART CAN MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD: Evidence shows that art can reduce depression and anxiety, as well as increasing confidence and self-esteem.
- MEET NEW PEOPLE, MAKE NEW FRIENDS: You will be part of a small supportive group. We encourage each other to share our ideas and passions.
- LEARN NEW SKILLS: We explore all kinds of different art forms – from printmaking to poetry. We will inspire you to try new things.
How it works
We run two Express Yourself course a year. One in Autumn & Winter, another in Spring & Summer. They usually involve 10 weeks of creative workshops, a visit to an exhibition or performance, and an event to celebrate your achievements. They are free to attend. We hold a taster session in advance so you can meet the team and find out what we will be doing.
The next course begins on the 18th August 2020. It will take place online.
How to get involved
If you are aged 13-17: Please show this page to a parent, carer, health worker, social worker, youth worker or teacher.
If you are a parent, carer, health worker, social worker, youth worker or teacher: Please complete the secure referral form below. If you are not able to make a referral through the web-form, you can download it as a word document and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, post it marked ‘Private & Confidential’ to Alma Solarte-Tobon, City Arts, 11-13 Hockley, Nottingham NG1 1FH.